Ezekiel and the bones!
Out of the depths I cry to you O Lord
flesh vs. spirit
Healing of Lazarus
Ezekiel and the bones!
- Traditional Ezekiel connected them dry bones (Dem Bones) (Traditional) Would be great for the kid’s song. We sang this once a few years ago at BUC. Good for kids. Here's the Delta Rhythm Boys
- WoV658 / ELW506 / URW078 The word of God is source and seed (Dufner) "The Word of God is breath and life; It comes to heal and wake and save. So let the Spirit touch and mend and rouse your dry bones from their grave". Lyrics (downloads a pdf).
- TiS 181 / AoV2-032 / GC(II)497 / G(3)577 / CP589 Come O God of all the earth / Sing Out Earth and Skies (Haugen) A very joyful song for cantor and congregation, or small group and congregation; this is a big favourite in our church. Sheet music, lyrics and sound sample.
- TiS 409 / AHB 322 / CH595 / UMH543 / VU202 / StJ / SLW43 / W&R328 / Cha250 / StF391 / MP488 O Breath of life come sweeping through us (Elizabeth Porter Head) This is a really good older style hymn with inclusive lyrics. Lyrics and sound sample. Not all verses are in all hymnals. Oldy-but-a-goody.
419 / NCH270 / CH592 / A&M252 / UMH544 / VU205 / WoV685 / ELW403 /
HPP222 / GtG285 / PH314 / CP635 / CP(E) 185 / W&R327 / SP92 / 82Hml-513 / StF389 Like the murmur of the dove's song (Daw) Excellent words and a simple tune about Christian unity. Each verse ends with "Come holy spirit, come". Lyrics and organ sample.
Out of the depths I cry to you O Lord
- *Recorded Music Out of the depths (Sinéad O'Connor) A sensitive and heart-felt version of this Psalm. From the album Theology. Youtube video. Lyrics. Available from iTunes.
- *Iona (Sent By the Lord) / MV066 Senzenina? / What have we done? (South African) This beautiful chant from South Africa asks the question that we often ask when things go wrong beyond belief. It's important to know what the song means when singing it. If you have some part-singers in your congregation, this would be particular good. It's good to let people ask this question. It is also on the soundtrack for "The Power of One" so you could also play the recorded music if appropriate. Free sheet music (loads a pdf).
- TiS 683 / WoV735 / ELW603 / W&R416 / StF649 God when human bonds are broken (Kaan) These words pick up an unusual theme, and fit really well with this reading. There are a couple of possible tunes, none of which are immediately familiar, but they are not difficult either. Lyrics.
- *SFFS 2136 / NCH554 / GA227 / VU611 / G(II)636 / GC877 / Cha510 Out of the Depths O God we call to you (Duck) A simple and honest hymn, which sings this Psalm from the perspective of a community trying to work out its faith together. Excellent words and the tune is quite straightforward. Lyrics and sheet music sample. Video with lyrics (click on "more info" near the Subscribe button for the lyrics).
- *Taizé / CH276 / VU22 / GtG090 / ELW262 / GA283 / A&M053 / G(II)256 / GC332 / GC(II)340 / G(3)406 / CP094 / W&R166 / PfAS037B / SP28 / URW396 / Lau088 Wait for the Lord (Berthier) Wait for the Lord whose day is near, wait for the lord, keep watch, take heart. A lovely simple Taize chant. Sheet music, translations and sound samples.
- *AoVK-58 We wait in hope for the Lord (Ford) Simple a cappella round; also good for kids "We wait in hope for the Lord, God is our help and our shield. And so our hearts rejoice, for we trust in God's holy name". Good for kids.
- G(3)143 With the Lord there is Mercy (Guimont) A simple refrain to a cantor- or reader-lead reading.
- Cha762 From the depths I cry to you God listen hear my voice (Goodrich) Simple sung response, and responsive reading
- *Linnea Good Out of the depths I cry (Bauman / Good) Simple refrain.
- *Online resource Out of the Depths (Harding) A simple four part arrangement which would be nice if you have a choir or quartet that could sing this. Available for purchase, and you can view a sample PDF here. Note that the sound sample is for a different song, so that's a bit confusing, really.
- NCH472 / UMH474 / VU670 / R297 / ELW875 / HPP434 / GtG834 / PH404 / G(II)637 / GC874 / GC(II)847 / G(3)955 / CP509 / W&R500 / Cha628 Precious Lord take my hand A classic gospel song.
- TiS 667 / G(II)415 / GC591 How shall I sing to God (Wren) The words are excellent, but neither the tune in TiS or Gather hymnals is straightforward because of the difficult meter; this might be a good song for your musicians to present to start teaching the congregation so they can remember it in more difficult times. All lyrics and sheet music sample of the Gather hymnal melody (HOPE) here.
PfAS130E In deep despair I cry to you (Patterson) Good words of hope, sung to the familiar and lovely tune MORNING SONG. New words to old tunes
- *?PfAS130G For you my God I wait (Tice) A good reflective song, needs to be played quite slowly and meditatively I think.
- PfAS103B Out of the depths (Harmon) A nice alternative response."Out of the depths I cry to you O Lord".
- Online Resource Out of the depths (Keesecker) Although arranged for choir, this song is simple and repetitive enough to be used as a meditative song for congregational worship. Sound sample, PDF sample, and purchasing options.
- GA077 / GC128 Out of the depths / I place all my trust in you O God (Gelineau) The original response from Gelineau. Very simple. Words to the response are "I place all my trust in you O God, all my hope is in your saving word". Sound sample and sheet music here (search for "I place all my trust"). Note this one also has a (non-inclusve) Trinitarian formula at the end.
- G(II)113 / GC127 / GC(II)71 / G(3)87 Out of the Depths / With the Lord There Is Mercy (Gelineau / Haugen) This response is also quite simple, but a slightly different emphasis. "With the Lord there is mercy and fullness of redemption". Not all versions are inclusive Sound sample and sheet music.
- TiS 81 Out of the depths / With the Lord there is Mercy (Gelineau / Carroll) Simple response is "With the Lord there is mercy and fullness of redemption". We have used this once at Brunswick Uniting and it went quite well.
flesh vs. spirit
- Tune In: Spirit of the Father, Spirit of our Mother / Alive in me (Anderson) Catchy boppy pop song about God's spirit within us and within the world. Music sample, sound sample and lyrics. Good for kids. Music sample, sound sample and lyrics.
- TiS 410 / AHB 323 / LBW523 / ELW582 / NCH59 / CP655 / 82Hml-511 Holy Spirit, ever dwelling I like these words, but prefer to sing it to NETTLETON (TiS 392). Lyrics and sound sample. New words to old tunes
- VU379 / LBW459 / ELW786 / SFFS 2121 / Cha251 / URW079 O Holy Spirit root of life. Good words from Hildegard of Bingen to the simple known tune PUER NOBIS NASCITUR. Lyrics. New words to old tunes
- TiS 421 Where the Spirit is there's freedom (Harling) Fun and good. Can be sung with the congregation in two halves singing each part, which is not too hard once they have the hang of singing it in unison. Good for kids Lyrics.
- *NCH060 O Spirit of God
(Niedling) Good words of the many facets of the Spirit. The first verse
is particularly appropriate for times when there seems to be more
suffering in the world than usual. The tune (O HELIGER GEIST - TiS 401)
is quite simple and familiar. This is a new translation of the hymn "O
Spirit of Life, O Spirit of God". New words to old tunes
- *SFFS 2228 / Online Resource Sacred the Body (Duck) Excellent words - and it's not easy to find good songs for this
tune is new, but very simple and beautiful. It will be picked up very
quickly by most congregations. "Sacred the body God has created, temple
of Spirit that dwells deep inside. Cherish each person; nurture
relation. Treat flesh as holy, that love may abide." Tune and lyrics from Baylor University Christian Ethics Hymns Library (an excellent resource!).
Healing of Lazarus
- Tune In: See our God with the tear-streaked face / Our God who weeps (Kate Scull) Very simple folk tune and challenging and hopeful lyrics. Sound sample, lyrics and songbook.
- Recorded Music Lazarus (Malcolm Gordon) A song seeking personal healing of our own Lazarus within. Sound sample and purchase options.
- NCH192 / VU146 / SFFS 2106 / HPP183 / PH312 / Cha199 / 82Hml-715 When Jesus wept (Billings) I like this simple round. Partly because it's by a Sacred Harp composer - William Billings. It's also very restful and beautiful. I quite like this video sound sample. This might be a good song for the musicians to sing during the offering, or in a prayer of confession.
- FFS09 Christ of the sad face (Murray/Gibson) Christ weeps for the city, the earth. A longing for peace. Lyrics and an alternative tune.
- VU471 / W&R692 / URW122 Eat this bread and never hunger (Damon) Very simple tune. The first verse refers to this passage. Particularly good if you are celebrating communion this week, but will be fine if you are not. I will suggest this song again next week and the week after, so this is a good week to introduce it!
- TiS 382 / AoV2-131 / ATN 15 / NCH238 / CH417 / UMH311 / VU186 / LBW280 / ELW570 / GA364 / A&M212 / HPP210 / GtG247 / G(II)318 / GC444 / GC(II)456 / G(3)534 / CP237 / CP(E) 153 / W&R311 / Cha230 / 82Hml-204 / Lau278 / StF306 Now the green blade rises (NOEL NOUVELET) I love these words and this simple French folk tune. I particularly like this played to guitar, but TiS has an excellent piano arrangement too. Lyrics and tune sample. New words to old tunes
- TiS 210 / AHB 141 / NCH042 / CH352 / UMH57 / VU326 / LBW42 / ELW295 / A&M742 / HPP74 / GtG610 / PH466 / CP306 / CP(E) 534 / W&R96 / Cha005 / Srce506 / 82Hml-493 / StF364 / MP496 O for a thousand tongues to sing (Wesley) A classic. I particularly love NATIVITY for these words, and it's such a fun tune. Be careful with the words "ye dumb". Voices United has "Hear him you deaf, you voiceless ones, your tongues again employ" which is more respectful. Lyrics and one possible tune. Oldy-but-a-goody.
- *WoV658 / ELW506 / URW078 The word of God is source and seed "The Word of God is source and seed; It comes to die and sprout and grow. So make your dark earth welcome warm; Root deep the grain God bent to sow." Lyrics (downloads a pdf).
- AoVK-125 / ATW 489 Turn our sadness upside down (Newton) Good for kids, and adults too. Simple tune, but not so simple that it’s boring. Lyrics (search in the page for "sadness").
- *TiS 682 / ATW 490 / GA236 / A&M355 / AA151 / SP148 When human voices cannot sing (Murray) Lovely words of healing in the face of grief. I prefer this sung to ST COLUMBA, which is the tune in GA and TiS. Lyrics and sheet music
- *Tune In: You in all our worries / All will finish well (Brown) “In this world where injustice reigns, you are in the midst of pain”. Excellent words of reassurance in a difficult world. Sound sample, lyrics and songbook.
- Recorded Music See How Deep (Malcolm Gordon) This song of devotion is based on the thought of Jesus weeping over Lazarus and the crucifixion. Sound sample and purchse options.